Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Newbies!

So, this weekend after much anticipation, we met the new inbound students!
On saturday morning we drove about 40minutes north to a town called Brampton, where we were set to meet everyone for the first time.
I know for me  it was very peculiar, going on a rotary weekend without the others - I think in the back of my mind I was still expecting to see them there.
This year there are only 9 new kids! So including me, Mark and Riley, there are 12 of us, which makes for a lot smaller group than last year. (19)

Mark - Australia
Riley - Australia
Sabrina - Denmark
Javier - Ecuador
Bruna - Brazil
Philipp - Austria
Isabella - Switzerland
Nann - Thailand
Jose - Chile
Kyohei - Japan
Heloise - France
and Me!

We did some group activities, and a whole lot of presentations about what to expect from our year (in my case, only 3 months...), the rules, and the itinerary for this year.
After all the formal stuff was over we went into the gym, and just mucked around playing basketball and frisbee. There are some pretty good basketballers in the group, and we all had fun playing. Sadly my team lost...
Riley also picked up some sweet frisbee skills - he figured out how to skim it like a stone!

The rotarians keep saying that this group is already a lot better behaved than us last year, and I can definitely see that. I am sure we weren't easy to handle, but we did have a lot of fun. Dinner time was scarily quiet, but I am sure as everyone gets more comfortable around each other and their English improves, we will get louder. Haha, the only people talking were us Oceanians, which is peculiar considering I am normally the quiet one...

We were billeted saturday night - please tell me you know what that means! Everyone I talk to has to interupt me, as they don't know what I mean by 'billeted'. I stayed at Mari-Ann Tate's house, a rotarian who has been with us all year. I was there with Nann and Sabrina, so we stayed up talking and watching movies.

Sunday morning - It was a fairly early start, and we all met at Cora's for breakfast at 8.30. There is fantastic food there, but the portions are huge. I had a Ham and Cheese Omlette, and I struggled to even eat half. Mark got the 'Banana Beast' - I have had that before with Emi, and it sure is beastly!!

So, summer is defnintely over now...
It was down to about 3 degrees this morning, and yesterday I wished that I had had gloves on! The leaves are starting to change colour, and it looks absolutely stunnning. I will have to get out and take some pictures before it is too late.

Au Reviour!
Sarah
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment