Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

One Month!




Well, on Wednesay the 24th of February, I had been in Canada for exactly one month.
It's scary to think that I have been here that long, as it only feels like 2 weeks at the max.
However, I have also fallen behind on my blog(s). Which is rather pathetic, as this is only, what, my 6th entry? Anyway, I will do my best to keep up from now on.

School is good. While I do miss being able to make those personal jokes, and laugh around in class with my friendlings, I am still having fun. Everyday I meet new people, and slowly I am starting to remember everybody's name! And, as an added bonus, I didn't get lost at all this week! Although, when I was getting lost it wasn't because I didn't know where to go, it was because I didn't know where I was to begin with, as it all looked similar. Hopefully I have got the hang of it now.
One thing I notice that is really different about school here, is the classwork vs. homework. At Howick we do lots of work in class, writing paragraphs, doing quizes, answering questions, e.t.c. Here, the teacher will read to you, or get you to take notes, and then set all exercises as homework. So, I think I have had more homework these past few weeks than the entire of year 11!
We have started reading 'A Catcher in the Rye' in English, (I have finished it)
and it is actually a relatively good book! I had heard that it was very out of date and boring, but after Shukov anything is interesting - this included!

Last weekend I went skiing with Misaki, Emma and Book (an exchange student from Thailand). It was lots of fun, although the skiing was nothing compared to Cardrona; the runs were much shorter, and the queues were longer. However, it was still fun too get out and ski, and hang out with them. We also saw 'Valentine's Day', the movie together, which was fun. I thought the movie was a lot like 'Love Actually', only I prefer 'Love Actually'.

Infact, since I have been here I have been to the movies quite a bit.
Laurie, Kaley and I went to see 'Wolfman' last week, and then Laurie and I saw 'Shutter Island' last night. While I won't say too much, I didn't like Shutter Island, I felt very cheated after it, they tricked me!!

We had the Outbound Announcement Day last Saturday, where the Canadian Exchange Students find out where they are going to be next year. It was very suspenseful, and everyone was very excited. Kirsten Hentschel is going to be coming to New Zealand in July which she is very excited about, as am I. While we know she will be in Auckland for sure - somewhere between Pukekohe and the Harbour Bridge, I can't wait to find out where exactly she will be staying, hopefully near Howick, so you guys can all show her around!
After the Announcement Ceremony, many of us went bowling together. I was in a bowling lane with Mille (Denmark), Aurelien (France), Geoff (France), Dario (Switzerland), and Mark (Australia). Sadly, I was by far the worst bowler there, not getting a single strike, and filling up the scoreboard with zero after zero. It was fun though, despite my... 'interesting' score.

Anyway, sorry this is so fragmented, I am trying to catch you up on everything that has been happening, and trying to remember it at the same time!
I miss you guys,
Sarah.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment